Timing Is Everything: A Systematic Approach to Drum Set Fundamentals by Jake Burton
Jake Burton is the author of the drumming instructional book Timing is Everything. Topics in the book include: rudimental studies, eighth note based grooves, six eight (Blues), shuffles, fills, eighth and sixteenth based grooves, one handed sixteenth note grooves, two handed sixteenth note grooves, halftime shuffles, broken sixteenth grooves, country, disco and dance grooves, New Orleans grooves, a complete study of Jazz, Caribbean/Island grooves, Brazilian, Afro-Cuban, double bass, odd time signatures, advanced grooves, chops building exercises, a study of song forms and soloing concepts, reading text applications, and more. The book also contains an extensive glossary of drumming terminology. A CD is included with the book which demonstrates all of the grooves first at a slow speed and then at performance speed. It is perfect for complete beginners and advanced players alike!
Ability Level: ALL
Timing Is Everything is available at Fork's Drum Closet, Atom Heart Music, Springfield Guitar Company, and Amazon.
Private Drum Lessons:
Private drum lessons are offered at these locations:
1) Fork's Drum Closet in Nashville, TN - Monday and Tuesday
2) Springfield Guitar Company in Springfield, TN - Wednesday and Thursday
- Lessons are $60 per hour or $30 per half hour.
- All ages and abilities are welcome.
- Areas of study include: reading music, learning various styles (Jazz, Rock, Funk, Latin, etc.), rudimental studies, performance techniques/concepts, and more.
- Required materials include a book (Timing Is Everything), drumsticks, and a practice pad. A metronome is strongly recommended. Owning a drum set is not required.
- Checks (payable to Jake Burton) and cash are accepted. (cash is preferred)
- Lesson fees are to be prepaid one month at a time.
- Lesson cancellations must be done 24 hours prior to the lesson. If a 24 hour notice is not given, the student will be charged for the lesson. To cancel a lesson, the student/guardian must call or email the instructor.